How to Enter
English Chess Forum
New to the 4NCL
The Four Nations Chess League does not accept responsibility for the content of other websites, to which this site links.
This website includes information on participants in the Four Nations Chess League in respect of name, grade, title, nationality and sex (team registration lists), as well as telephone number(s), email address(es) and postal address(es) in certain circumstances (team captains/managers, management board members, arbiters etc). Participants wishing this information not to be included on the website should contact the webmaster to have it removed, but should be aware that in this event they will not be permitted to play in the league.
The 2010/2011 season will see the creation of the Northern League in the hope that this will encourage more teams from the North of England and Scotland to participate in the 4NCL. The Northern League will have the same format and rules as existing 4NCL Division 3 (six boards, no female player requirement, Swiss system, FIDE rated, ECF graded, two matches a weekend etc).
The format for the 2010/2011 season will be as follows:
Dates and Venues
- Divisions 1 and 2 will comprise 16 teams each.
- Divisions 1 and 2 will comprise two preliminary pools of eight for the first seven rounds, with the two pools in each division of broadly equal strength as determined by the Management Board. The top four and bottom four teams in each preliminary pool will form two final championship/promotion and relegation pools respectively. With regard to the teams in each final pool, only matches played between themselves during the first seven rounds will be carried forward to the final pools (i.e. matches played by teams against teams in the other final pool during the first seven rounds will not be carried forward).
- Four teams will be relegated from Division 1, four teams will be promoted from Divisions 2, four teams will be relegated from Division 2 and four teams will be promoted from the Northern League/Division 3 (see below).
- The Northern League and Division 3 will be a Swiss format.
- The Northern League will combine with Division 3 for the fifth and final weekend, with match and game points carried forward from the first four weekends. Promotion places to Division 2 will be from the combined Northern League/Division 3 league for those teams that want it.
Dates and venues for the 4NCLís 2010/2011 season can be found here. The found Hotels page on the website gives further information on the various venues.
All entries, whether for existing teams or for new entrants, need to be received together with the appropriate entry fee by Tuesday 31 August 2010. Please either:
Please remember that all outstanding default fines, wild card fees etc still outstanding from the 2009/2010 season need to be settled as a condition of entry.
- Make cheques payable to '4NCL' and send along with your entry to Mike Truran at The Old Farmhouse, 7 Church Street, Ducklington, Witney, Oxon, OX29 7UA; or
- Make a direct transfer to the 4NCL bank account, details of which can be obtained from Mike. Please include sufficient accompanying narrative to allow the payment to be identified.
Confirmed team registration lists should be sent to Neville Belinfante by Thursday 30 September 2010 (contact details are on the Arbiters page). Team captains and managers should ensure that all players are members of the appropriate chess federation on the date of submission of the registration list. Many subscriptions expire on 31 August 2010 and may not be renewed immediately.
Entry fees are as follows. Despite a continuing increase in costs (for example, we expect the ECF to increase FIDE rating fees by 25%) we have held these at 2009/2010 season levels in the light of the prevailing economic environment:
|Div 1||First teams £300||Second, third etc teams £350|
|Div 2||First teams £275||Second, third etc teams £325|
|Northern League/Div 3||First teams £150||Second, third etc teams £175|
As usual, entry fees entitle teams to nominate up to 16 players (Divs 1-2) and 12 players (Northern League/Div 3) in their team lists. Nominated players taking team lists over 16 (Divs 1-2) or 12 (Northern League/Div 3) in total will be subject to the usual registration fee.
Registration fees (£5) and wildcard fees (£10) remain at the same level.
The prize fund for the 2010/2011 season will be £10,625, made up as follows:
|Div 1||First £3,000||Second £1,500||Third £750|
|Div 2||First £1,500 ||Second £750||Third £375|
|Northern League/Div 3||First £1,000||Second £500||Third £250|
|Northern League/Div 3 team rating prize *||First £500||Second £250|| |
|Best annotated game||£250|| || |
* Based on the two highest placed teams with a team average FIDE rating for the season as a whole (and for at least seven matches) of less than or equal to 2000.
The rules for the 2010/2011 season are still being worked on, but are expected to be broadly similar to last seasonís.
It would be helpful if team captains/managers of entering teams could check their contact details in the Team Captains section of the 4NCL website and confirm that they are shown correctly. Please notify Peter Sowray of any updates required.
If entering teams would like a link to their own website from the 4NCL website, please let Peter Sowray know.
If there are any points that you wish to discuss further then please get in touch with Claire Summerscale or Mike Truran, contact details for whom can be found on the Management Board page of the 4NCL website.
Pride and Prejudice
Barbican 4NCL 1
White Rose 1
Cambridge Univ. 1
Barbican 4NCL 2
Pandora's Box Grantham
S. Wales Dragons
Poisoned Pawns 1
Jutes of Kent
Warwickshire Select 1
Barbican 4NCL Youth
Poisoned Pawns 2
Celtic Tigers 1
White Rose 2
FCA Solutions 1
Sambuca Black Sheep
Cambridge Univ. 2
Warwickshire Select 2
FCA Solutions 2
The Full Ponty
Sussex Smart Ctls.
Braille Chess Assoc.
Beauty and the Beasts
Celtic Tigers 2