How to Enter
English Chess Forum
New to the 4NCL
The Four Nations Chess League does not accept responsibility for the content of other websites, to which this site links.
This website includes information on participants in the Four Nations Chess League in respect of name, grade, title, nationality and sex (team registration lists), as well as telephone number(s), email address(es) and postal address(es) in certain circumstances (team captains/managers, management board members, arbiters etc). Participants wishing this information not to be included on the website should contact the webmaster to have it removed, but should be aware that in this event they will not be permitted to play in the league.
Message from Paul Keevil (BCF International Rating Officer)
I have recently been asked the following question:
WILL THE 4NCL RESULTS BE SUBMITTED TO FIDE IN ONE SUBMISSION AT THE END OF THE SEASON OR WILL THEY BE SUBMITTED IN PART FORMAT BEFORE EACH RATING PERIOD.
I have pondered this question for some time during which I have asked for the individual views of players, teams, arbiters and the FIDE Rating office.
At first light you may ask yourself "Does it really matter?"
My preference as International Ratings Officer is to send the results in full after the final round. The reasons I propose this are as follows:-
1) Based on a conversation I have had with FIDE, it appears that we should send in completed tournaments as opposed to part completed tournaments.
2) The software that I am presently using (FIDE's own software) does not lend itself well to presenting partially complete tournaments. Indeed one of the problems is that it will not allow you to alter a person's grade in mid-tournament.
3) FIDE appears to have trouble picking up Part ratings at the best of times. Submitting a tournament in batches makes their job virtually impossible.
4) In July of next year FIDE intends to lower the rating limit to 1801. Given this, it is likely that many more individuals will obtain a FIDE rating through playing a suitable number of games in the 4NCL and it is as a result of this that I believe we should submit the results en-bloc as opposed to in part. Basically if we cannot rely on fide to pick up part ratings (from the 4NCL) then we would not be able to rely on them picking up newly rated players.
5) Having discussed the matter with FIDE, I am given to understand that the Bundesliga submit their games en-bloc.
There is only one benefit of having the 4NCL results sent in "Part format" and that is to ensure that the ratings are kept right up to date. However, there cannot be a huge movement in individual ratings over the course of say two weekends, and by the end of the season it will return to a natural level anyway.
I shall be making a final decision during the course of the next 14 days and would welcome any comments.
BCF International Rating Officer
Pride and Prejudice
Barbican 4NCL 1
White Rose 1
Cambridge Univ. 1
Barbican 4NCL 2
Pandora's Box Grantham
S. Wales Dragons
Poisoned Pawns 1
Jutes of Kent
Warwickshire Select 1
Barbican 4NCL Youth
Poisoned Pawns 2
Celtic Tigers 1
White Rose 2
FCA Solutions 1
Sambuca Black Sheep
Cambridge Univ. 2
Warwickshire Select 2
FCA Solutions 2
The Full Ponty
Sussex Smart Ctls.
Braille Chess Assoc.
Beauty and the Beasts
Celtic Tigers 2